Monday, July 21, 2014

CAMT Reflections -- Day 1

It has been a whirlwind of a few weeks, y'all! From Vegas, back to Houston for a few days, to now being in Ft. Worth for #CAMT14, it's beginning to all catch up to me. In addition to attending this conference as a classroom teacher, I have joined forces with 9 other math teachers to sell a bundle of resources at a deeply discounted price. This bundle is exclusive to conference attendees and is such a great value, so if you are here, be sure to snatch one up! 

We also set up a blog, Math Teachers of TPT, and each one of us introduces ourselves a bit. You can my post here: http://mathteachersoftpt.com/2014/07/meet-danielle-from-live-love-math.html

One of the teachers featured in the bundle is MissMathDork! I was so excited to finally meet her in person this morning and take a picture.


She is SO sweet and just genuinely a nice person. 

My friend Melanie and I are here together and set off for our first session. It was presented by Glenna Tabor. I hadn't ever heard of her, but she was a featured speaker so we thought we would go for it and check it out. I'm sure it was beneficial for some, but it was a little disappointing that she never actually told us how she made stations work in middle school. She showed some videos from her website and kept directing us to that. Needless to say, we didn't get anything out of it. Oh well, live and learn. I hate to say it, people that are out of the classroom for 20+ years have a hard time relating back to teachers still in the classroom (don't yell at me...just my perspective!)

I did like one quote that she shared and was able to snap a pic really quickly:


It is hard to see since I was sitting in the back, but it says "A person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." That really resonated with me.

Anyhow, my friend, Jennifer from 4mulafun, had two sessions in which she was presenting and asked me to help her out a little since she just had surgery last week. Can you believe that? Surgery five days ago and she is presenting to over 100 people each session? I would totally be taking advantage of the obligatory netflix watching and ice cream eating that follows surgery. 

Her session was about interactive notebooks and raising achievement. 



Some of you may have noticed I am name-dropping. I am not even going to try to hide it! I'm a name dropper!

In the afternoon, I met another fellow blogger whom I have followed for quite some time. After following  her, I realized that she followed my blog, too! It was like a celebrity sighting :) So, we took a picture!


If I learned anything at CAMT today, it is that I am short. Not just kinda short. Insanely short. I need to grow.

I forgot to mention that my sister (who teaches elementary) is here as well this week. I had dinner with her and some friends mentioned above and had to take a picture to make me feel better about my height! She and I are about two inches apart :)


Stay tuned for more updates tomorrow!

P.S. My links don't work since I am on my iPad...sorry!



1 comment:

  1. Hi there! I love the idea of the Math TPT Teachers! But I went to the blog and couldn't find any buttons which would allow me to follow it (bloglovin', google circles). I see where you can pin or FB a post, but I prefer to put the blog on my reading feed. Any thoughts?

    Diane

    ReplyDelete