Monday, July 7, 2014

Order of Operations Challenge Tasks

I don't know why I haven't blogged about these before, but they are a little known gem in my TPT store that have been available for about a year now. What are they?

Order of Operations Challenge Task BUNDLE

These are 3 different puzzles/tasks that will keep your kids engaged for a while! In each puzzle, there are 4 order of operations problems with 9 numbers missing. Students can use the numbers 0-9 using each one only once to fill the 9 spots. There will be one number left over. Included in the file are the number squares should you want to have something tactile to use, or you can just have them make their own numbers on notebook paper. You can also choose to give them the number that is left over and will not be used, or you can have them figure that out. There is more than one solution, but I have included one in the answer key for you.


I originally made these to use in my 6th grade class. Last year I taught 8th grade, and thought I would give it to them when they finished an assignment. They really are rigorous for several grade levels. Let me tell you, my 8th graders STRUGGLED with this. But, they LOVED it and refused to take any hints. They were so proud when they were able to get the first one that they practically ripped #2 from my hands!

Don't you just love days like that where the kids are so engaged that they don't even want you to help them?


This was one solution that a group of girls came up with. The group of boys next to them came up with a different solution that was still correct. 



Once they come up with a solution, I have them write in their answers and turn it in. Easy breezy!

Have any of you used something like this in your classroom? What did you think? I'd love to hear from you!

2 comments:

  1. I have some kids who would really love to take on this challenge!

    Tara
    The Math Maniac

    ReplyDelete
  2. I own these and they are GREAT!!!! My kids LOVED them!!!!!

    Elizabeth
    Hodges Herald

    ReplyDelete